Tuesday, March 29, 2005

"Lost Road" from Road to Perdition

Sorry this had to come this morning. I don't know what's wrong with my computer but after I sent again, it said the server was down so I had to wait for the library to open to send it this morning. This piece is like an Easter surprise. It begins with a low drone. Soon after this, an electronic instrument enters. This is when I think, "Ughhh. This is going to be a terrible piece." But, this is quickly followed by bagpipes. I love bagpipes. So, it's like Easter because something unexpected happens in an unexpected way. (I don't generally expect bagpipes to follow electronic music.) The bagpipe repeats a 4 note motive. Then, another bagpipe enters and there is duo harmony. This simple motive begins an ascending sequence pattern. I hear this section as an introduction. When it is complete, strings enter. I think this section is binary form. The A section is open with strings and consists of two contrasting phrases. The B section uses themes from the A section and also has two contrasting phrases. This section, however, is played by classical guitar. It is interesting that even though there is a dramatic change in timbre in this section, this doesn't seem to effect any other structural phenomena. The end of this section has a lilting flute extension. Then the bagpipes return, followed by the electronic unison octaves and finally the drone. Some people might feel this makes it ternary form but I disagree because while the intro and conclusion make a statement by being identical in reverse order of instrumentation, I don't hear phrase structure in them. The middle section is the only part with phrases and thus is binary form.

No comments: