Thursday, March 31, 2005

Avril Lavigne- My Happy Ending

I really enjoy listening to this song and it's pretty darn catchy. The first verse are very quiet with a simple strummed accompaniment. Then theres a transition to the chorus and the texture drastically changes and we add percussion and other instruments and she starts nearly shouting the chorus. "You were everything, everything that I wanted...but all this time you were pretending. So much for my happy ending." Even with the thick texture this song remains simple with strumming guitar, a melodic guitar, a bass, and some drums. It's really repetitive, which I feel is the virtue of a catchy song!
Yes, I do agree that Avril's target demographic is "tween" girls...but I happen to enjoy her even if she is like 16. She makes a good punk/pop singer and I'm happy that someone with her voice isn't trying to sing huge ballads or Celine Dion covers...She knows her talent and her limits. Way to go on this one Avril.

No comments: