Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Domenico Scarlatti - Concerto Grosso No. 5 in D

This is the allegro movement. First it begins with a sol ti do, then in a higher octave and voice it goes re me fa sol do ti le sol and (the second gesture only) is echoed twice, the first time in the cello and then returning in the violins. This for me makes the first phrase group as it ends on a V on sol. Then it marches forth with a sol fa me re, sol fa me re, le sol (start to transition into new key)..., (modulates to the dominant) fa me re do ti le sol, and is followed by a terminative section of repeated cadences on the new tonic. There is a transition and then it repeats the first part again, but then transitions into something new and seems to end as the first part ended, then it repeats this new part again. Evidently it is an open rounded binary form, a progressive period for the a which is then repeated, and then a b that has a return to a and the original key. It's very pretty too.

No comments: