Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Lizst, "Un Sospiro"

I'm a big fan of piano music. It is very relaxing to me. I'm not sure why? I guess the piano just has a beautiful mild timbre that appeals to me. I'm sure I'm not the only one, as there is tons of piano literature out there just begging to be played. Ever since I heard this specific piece while studying it in Music History I have loved it.
The most distinctive part of this song is the rapid smooth movement. The slow beautiful melody is played ontop of a crazy fast arpeggiating line. But the cool thing is that it doesn't sound rushed or hectic. In the hands of a professional pianist, the piece exudes a dream-like smooth quality. The chords just float over a sea of emotion. The melody is an oasis in a world of notes. I love how Lizst displaces the melody in different octaves. The differing dynamics and density of chords also lends itself to create much contrast in the piece.
This piece appears to be an open rounded binary form. The b section allows the melody to mix in with the rapid notes, but comes round to the a section, return us to the mellow feel of the piece. The ending is very distinctive. The termitive function does not follow a typical progression, and I believe it even modulates. The modulation up gives the piece a lifted feeling at the conclusion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree with your view. For me, it's the sudden deep chord changes that just lift my "ecstaticness" (if there is such a word, but you know what I mean).

This piece is a musical metaphor for someone who is truly, deeply, profoundly in love. It's just so intense!