Thursday, April 28, 2005

"Something There" from Beauty and the Beast

This song starts out with a very playful intro. There are eighth note figures that are pretty big interval jumps. There are also some 16th notes thrown in there that make it especially bouncy. When Belle begins to sing, the accompaniment changes to almost an oom pah feel between the I and V chord. Her melody is very simple, very speech like. At the second phrase, the accompaniment changes, and becomes slightly more sustained and legato, but this only lasts for a short time. Once her verse is done, the parts change, and the right hand has nothing but eighth note I and V chords played over again, and the left hand plays the legato melody. This goes on for about 8 measures, and then the Beast sings the second verse.
Now comes my favorite part of the whole song: the bridge. I used these 16 bars for an audition last weekend, and the result was me being cast in my first professional production! Maybe that's why I like this part. Ha. Anyway, it starts out on a B, which is a very middley place for a soprano, so it comes out as a wonderful mix belt. The rhythm here is very different. Thus far, we have had mostly eighth notes, and now it is all half notes. It's a nice change of pace. I think it is done like this because Belle is reflecting on how she is seeing a new and different side of the Beast, so the melody becomes more reflective.
After the bridge, Lumiere and Cogsworth come in and sing the first half of the third verse, which is identical to the first two. Mrs. Potts joins them for the second half. There is a little bit of harmony here, but nothing outstanding. The rest of the song is nothing but the same leaping eighth note figure in the accompaniment with Lumiere, Cogsworth, and Mrs. Potts singing the melody until the end. The song ends on a rolled I chord.
What a cute song. I am so excited to be doing this show this summer!

No comments: