Monday, April 25, 2005

Carly Simon's "The Itsy Bitsy Spider"

OK...so I'm sick again...actually, I've never stopped being sick since before break so what do I do when I sick and just want to pull my hair out?! I listen to Carly Simon's "The Itsy Bitsy Spider." Yep, it's a family classic for me. My mom raised me on this song. It had something for her and something for me. This piece begins with a chorus of very small children singing an upbeat version of Itsy Bitsy Spider. Then Carly comes in and sings a jazzed up version on top of the kids version of the children's melody. Carly the sings a parrel period short verse about love comin' around again. Then the chorus enters again with the Itsy while Carly improvs on top. Carly then sings another verse. The verse is twice as long this time. Underlying this verse is chanting on the words, "The itsy bitsy spider-the itsy bitsy spppidder." The second spider is elongated as written and the rhythm is very catchy. There is an interlude on this chant-singing that leads back into the chorus of singing the entire piece. This is the final time for this chorus. The melody of the verse is sung on top of it. It creates a really cool layer effect of chanting, chorus, verse melody, and ooos. I love this piece and it makes me feel better when I hear it. I recommend it to any aged person!

No comments: