Thursday, April 21, 2005

"Puer Natus Est Nobis Mode VII" by Chant

This is an excellent CD by the monks of Santo Domingo de Silos of gregorian chant. It is naturally very soothing. I'm glad this is a listening journal because I don't know much about the form of such a piece. The beginning starts with a parallel period on the words, "Gloria en Excelsis." The swells of all the male voices are so pure it's like cutting fresh butter in two creamy halfs. (I guess I'm hungry but that made sense in my head.) The next period is contrasting and holds the same tone repeatedly, adding friction through the depth of their voices and the dynamics. The rhythm of this piece is free. I couldn't tap a pulse but every voice seems to know exactly when to change at the same time. My favorite thing about this is that every voice is in unison and pure, yet you can tell more than one voice is singing. It creates a greater since of unity and community than anything else I've ever heard or experienced. Every single voice is listening to each other and helping each other create something powerful. Not once do they stray from this round tone. I can hear it reverberating from the cielings of a high cathedral.

No comments: