Tuesday, March 08, 2005

John Dowland- Tarleton's Ressurection

Alright, so right now I'm working on Handel's "Three Authentic Sonatas" for my sophomore proficiency and my teacher, Anna asked me to listen to some John Dowland pieces for lute to give me a better feel for the pieces and the time\style period. This specific piece isn't actually for lute, but for guitar instead, though most of his work was for lute, or lute and voice.
This piece has a dance like feel and actual reminds me a lof of movement V of the Third authentic sonata which is a menuetto. The tempo is more laid back than some other dance movements are likely to be.
The biggest thing that I noticed about this piece, when trying to look at it critically and comparatively alongside the three sonatas was the importance of solid tempo and downbeats. I would say that the biggest part of playing baroque music most of the time is recognizing and emphasizing the strong beats and de-emphasizing weak ones. The other important aspect of this particular piece seemed to the the lack of dynamics except when dictated by the phrasing.
I enjoyed the piece because it was relaxed and that is really how this style of music should be played, in a laid back fashion. The music is so simple that its easy to forget to not only appreciate the notes that are being played but also to realize how the space between them affects the music.

No comments: