Monday, March 07, 2005

Bach- Two Violin Concerto in D minor

This piece is on my Essential Violin CD. So, with all the conscious matter I have left in my brain after 3 am, I’ve decided to get down to the bottom of what makes this piece so essential. I mean, can I really not live without it. First of all, violin music itself is absolutely essential because in my opinion no other instrument has such a beautiful timbre (outside of the piano, of course), so it has that advantage. There’s something that‘s simple and restful about the music, but at the same time it’s impassioned and restless. I suppose that the two violin parts account these two dueling personalities, alternating there roles constantly. At least one part is playing is playing the never ending scalar pattern. This gives us a constant, putting us in this familiar circle that keeps continue to some unforeseen soul. So this circular motion causes you to keep up and stay with the piece. And the harpsichord just simply plays chords to add another constant. But the star of the piece is the violin playing outside of the circle, and that’s where the real magic happens. Bach, you devil, you. This part plays the searing, gripping melody, that just leaves you gasping for air for the entire piece as you’re still caught in the circle. The tone is unbelievable, as the part scales treacherous leaps or plays a beautiful ascending or descending lines. So, yes, I can’t live with out this music. It provides the essential nourishment to the soul. And it is the perfect, harmonious relationship between the harpsichord, the circular violin, and the star of the show.

No comments: