Monday, February 07, 2005

"Semi-Charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind

I'm a big fan of Third Eye Blind. "Semi-Charmed Life," is definately one of my favorite pop songs. The melody is very catchy and the lyrics connect well with my generation.
Like most rock bands, their music uses simple and repetitive harmonic progressions. For the majority of song Third Eye Blind follows I - V - IV/V - IV/V - I. There is also brief modulation to the dominant before every chorus. With just a few common chords, this piece is easily played.
Fortunately the interest in this music lies not with it's lack of harmonic variety. Like I stated before, the melody is very catchy, with the guitars entering and important moments during the verse. This gives the song a lot of excitement in the chorus and near the conclusion of the song. The guitars and the drums have the distinctive "Semi-Charmed Life" rhythmic motive that is used throughout the piece. Third Eye Blind does an excellent job of alternating the density of instruments to aid in telling the lyrics story, and at the same time offers variety in the songs melodic and rhythmic simplicity.
This is definately an award winning composition, but I still love it. It's one of those songs you sing to get pumped up, sing in the shower, hum while walking down the street, and can't get out of your head.

No comments: