Thursday, April 14, 2005

"Top of the World" by The Carpenters

"Top of the World" by the Carpenters.

I am in an extremely mushy mood at the moment, and felt like listening to some Carpenters. It's been one of those weeks where basically the only thing I have going for me is that I have a wonderful boyfriend, Ryan. It is not Kyle Aberle, contrary to current popular thoughts. Ha. So I found this appropriate.
When you listen to this song, you can't help but be in a good mood. It has almost a country feeling to it, which I am generally not crazy about... but here I love it. The song is upbeat and fun and very catchy. The opening is just the basic simple chord progression that is used throughout the song with the drum lightly keeping the rhythmic pulse. Then Karen Carpenter begins to sing. What an incredible voice... it is so pure and warm. I could listen to her all day. She sings the first two verses, then we go to the refrain, which is so catchy and memorable. I think that a good melody is the most crucial part of popular music that a great number of people listen to each and every day. If it is not fairly simple and catchy, the general public will not be able to relate to the song. This song is an example of one that has a timeless melody... although I think the best pop like melody ever written was for Danny's Song. The rest of the Carpenters come in with some nice harmonies at the refrain also. Then comes the 3rd and 4th verses, which are identical to the first two. The refrain then repeats again, and it is identical to the first time it was played. But then, they repeat it again, but it is slowed down a little bit and the harmonies are a little bit differently. About halfway through they pick the tempo back up, and it is the same as the first two times around. Once the refrain ends, you get the basic chord progression to the end, and the last chord is a very twangy country sound.
Gotta post the lyrics to the refrain to make this entry suitably cheesy and mushy. ;-)

I'm on the top of the world looking down on creation
And the only explanation I can find
Is the love that I've found ever since you've been around
Your love's put me at the top of the world.

No comments: