Wednesday, March 02, 2005

"Both Sides Now," Joni Mitchell

ok, so Joni's voice has really changed from when she was younger. I think she still sounds good, and I love the instrumentation in this song, as well as the lyrics. The lyrics are great by themselves, but the building up of the climax in this song really add even more to it. It starts off very quietly, almost like a whisper, with the strings. For some of the time she's singing, the strings are just playing one static note in unison. This sound is different because there's no steady beat, so it kind of feels like a constant stream of notes until the chorus picks it up. The brush stroke comes in right at the chorus, along with a soprano saxophone:there are a few big sax solos in this song, and they're gorgeous.

"I've looked at life from both sides now,
From win and lose, and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall.
I really don't know life at all."

No comments: