Monday, February 28, 2005

Jack Johnson- Sitting, Wishing, Waiting

So one of my friends from highschool highly recommend I download this song, and it instantly became my song of the week. (Seriously. Download. It. Now.) Jack has such a smokey sweet voice that no matter what he sang I would like it. But this song represents the personal struggle that I think everyone goes through in relationships.
The chord progression and alternation between building tension and happy I-V progressions is very striking and makes you listen. He starts out saying, "I'm always sitting, wishing, waiting for you" and he talks about how much he likes "you" in a happy melody. Then he says, "Must I always be waiting for you? Must I always be playing the fool?". Then he goes over all the things he has done for this girl like get to know her friends even though he hated them and all that he gets is insulted in return. Poor Jack Johnson. At the end of the song, he resolves that he's never "waiting on love" again because it's too much trouble.
Way to go Jack. Stick to your guns.

No comments: