Monday, February 28, 2005

"River Dance" from a Celtic Album with the Boston Pops Orchestra

This CD gets me in the mood to study in Ireland next semester. I love the Riverdance piece, because even though it's stereotypical Irish "traditional" music, it helps motivate me to keep working no matter how exhausted or stressed am I am. It's divided into sections that sound like completely different songs that are interconnected through a steady 3 beat meter. Some of the sections sound very techno with screeching guitars while other sections have the traditional foot stomping violin pulses that make one want to soar through the sky in a riveting dance even if this person is completely incapable of doing so. This piece uses every structural phenomenon imaginable from huge dynamic contrasts starting very lyrically with images of sheep grazing on rich green hills to vigorous fortes that pull everyone into its embrace. The timbre and density is constantly changing with instrumentation from flutes, to guitars, to violins, to drums. The rhythm and tempo fluctuates frequently. I have no idea what the form would be considered but I know the piece is jiggin'.

No comments: