Sunday, March 13, 2005

"crush" by dave matthews

The beginning starts out with a great bass line- (so so so do do me fa- so so so do me le so) and continues on with this throughout most of the song (although later on in the song it tonicizes many times as the chord progressions change). in measures 3 and 4 the drums, keyboard and sax all come in (the saxophone is improvising). The sax also mirrors the vocals on the second line of each verse-it's cool because you don't really hear the sax except when the verse is building up to the chorus. The flute really only spotlighted towards the end of the song, which makes for a very happening ending. There are also live strings in the background. Each verse is very cool because each time there is a different solo from each instrument going on (1st verse is a violin solo, the second one is a flute solo, and then everyone meshes together right before the chorus, changing the timbre and adding to the building up and intensity.

The major climax to this song is freaking awesome because there's a SWEET violin solo (listen to this!) and everything else is going on around it, but the only thing you're sucked into is this amazing solo by Boyd tinsley (I think he also came out with a solo album about a year ago).


Dave matthews is such a great lyricist- this song is very meaningful to however he wrote it for (his wife probably)! The lyrics in this song make this one of my favorite love songs because you can tell he put a lot of thought into what he wanted to say. -

"Lovely lady, I will treat you sweetly
Adore you, I mean
you crush me
and it's times like these
when I think that feeling
I know how I love you..."

listen to it!

No comments: