Monday, February 21, 2005

Song from the Thracian Plain - Le Mystere des voix bulgares

First of all, whenever I listen to either CD of this Bulgarian State Radio and Television Female Vocal Choir, I really do convulse with ecstasy. This is track 10 of their first CD under this title. I have the second one too.

It begins with a native flute and some lower more orchestral voices. The flute gives way to a solo voice and underneath her an instrument that is rather common throughought the med. and near east (though I don't know its name--it's a string instrument struck with mallets) plays. Also a sort of bagpipe will elaborate on her melody as she sings. More orchestral voices also accompany her at times. Her melody is very frugal--it is simple and repeated, with long drawn-out notes hovering in a very narrow register. It doesn't even end cadentially. The melody is a traditional melody and just follows its own ebs and flows. But the way she uses her voice (the way the choir uses their voices) is at once both primal and eloquent. There is a deepness, a coarseness and a purity to the sound. There is a lot of chest voice in it and no vibrato.

Everytime I listen to them, I feel as though I can hear thousands of years of humanity echoing back into what is no longer remembered. Very little music has such effect on me.

No comments: