Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Grieg's "In the Hall of the Mountain King."

I'm sure most music students know who "The 5 Browns" are. They are five siblings who have all made it into Julliard on piano. I got their CD for my birthday so I have to write about the last piece. It is for 5 pianos. It is Grieg's "In the Hall of the Mountain King." I lost my earlier write up on it before I could get it typed so I'll try to remember most of what I said. The piece begins with a solo on the main theme. This is in the form of a phrase. It begins very slowly and softly. Then another piano takes this theme in a higher range while the first plays accompaniement. Next the the original period is played in the original key. Then both ranges of themes are played at the same time. Another range of the theme enters on top, then another, then another. Gradually, as more themes are added and piled, the tempo increases along with the dynamics. Everything heightens until the listener feels they are going to explode from such thick harmonic tension. Then all stops and there are big chords repeated by the melody. A contrary scale ends the piece. The intensity is definitely built through the increasing dynamics and speed. It's amazing that all 5 pianists stay so well together when the pianos have to be so far apart.

No comments: