Sunday, February 20, 2005

I know you I walked with you Once Upon a Dream- Sleeping Beauty

My room mates are watching this disney classic at the moment and the song came on at the right moment I suppose. I was going to blog on the performance of the Indianapolis Baroque Orchestra and that dude that played the baroque flute, but to me... Sleeping Beauty is the better choice.
The triple meter of the song makes it perfect for a disney Princess\Prince waltz. As with most disney songs, and similar to "Part of Your World" the song is somewhat strophic and simple in form. It is built on parallel periods with a simple half cadence then PAC.
I think the most significant thing about the melody is its triple meter that makes it perfect for dancing.
Even in the Ballet, I think Tchaicovksy's use of this melody was initially to portray this grand, royal sort of romantic waltz which Disney so magically portrays.

No comments: