Monday, May 02, 2005

"I'll Tell the Man in the Street"

"I'll Tell The Man in the Street" performed by Kristen Chenoweth on her CD "Let Yourself Go"

This song is by Rodgers and Hart, and I adore it. I wish I could find the sheet music for it, because I'd love to be able to sing it. I also just love Kristen Chenoweth. One of the reasons I love her is because she was classically trained to be an opera singer, but has instead pursued a career in musical theatre very successfully. So, basically, I want to be her. HA. One of the reasons I love this song is because it is one of the few times you get to hear her use her classical voice. She usually sings in a very bright, nasal, character voice way. SO here goes...
The song starts out with flutes playing a sequence, and then the strings join in. It's beautiful. The vocal line comes in, and the accompaniment just basically serves to support it. Leading into the refrain, everything grows. The orchestra is very dreamy sounding, and plays with a beautiful legato sound. The orchestration doesn't stand out at the refrain, but the vocal part does. It's stunning... it just soars in this beautiful soprano floaty way. Later in the refrain, there is a huge build, and the violins are stunning. They play at a really high register, and it's a nice effect.
The verse from the very beginning returns, but with a very full orchestra under it. The song ends with Kristen Chenoweth sustaining a glorious note, and the orchestra playing the melody underneath her. fabulous.
"I'll tell the man in the street, and everyone I meet that you and I are sweethearts."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.