Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Mozart Oboe Concerto in C Major K. 314 I. Allegro

My sophomore proficiency program is concerto heavy, so with oboe on the brain I though that I would tell you all about one of the biggest staples in the Oboe World.
The Mozart Oboe Concerto in C Major is a beautiful baroque concerto, and its Mozart... so the form and rhythm are extremely simple, as most of you have probably experienced for yourselves. The oboe part consists of a lot of mixed articulated sixteenth note passages (a lot of the time in scalar motion). I shouldn't really say "mixed articulation" because that is the thing about the baroque concerto, and my job as an oboe player. One of the things that makes this piece challenging after all is the fact that it calls for the musician (and their teacher ;)) to add a butt load of ornamentations, mostly trills and a few turns here and there.
Also a lot of time in most of the music I end up playing, there are not articulations written in so I get to do fun things like pick how I want to articulate things. Yay, freedom!
One of the biggests things about this concerto is the phrasing. I feel like the sixteenth notes dip and dive with the help of dynamic contrasts and ecspecially from a performance standpoint, really going for the phrase, ecspecially the crescendos, helps you move your air and it all kind of works together.
The overall nature of the piece is crisp, and good natured, almost playful, yet somehow refined.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is not a baroque concerto, mozart was a composer from the classical era...