Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Chopin Nocturne Op. 72 No. 1 (posthumous)

I find this piece very interesting and beautiful. It is very Chopin-esque in that it has the broken up flowing eighth note chords in the bass while a simple, yet beautiful melody is played on top. It is highly emotional and gives the listener a yearning feeling. It states the main melody right at the beginning and then variates it again, then it takes the same melody and embellishes it with runs and trills and grace notes. It then takes the melody again and adds harmonics to it. A very simple, yet beautiful piece, I found that it really did seem to evoke images and ideas in my head, even some words to fit the music. As ou can tell, I really liked this piece of music.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree, this piece among the overplayed Nocturne Op. 9 No.2 is probably my favorite nocturne ever composed, the first time I ever heard it I cried. You also forget how the trills on the second or third page (depending on your book) builds a sense of uncontrollable tension and eventually releases this tension in a sudden progression upwards.