Thursday, February 17, 2005

Gioacchino Rossini's L'Italiana in Algeri

"Wow" is my best word to describe Gioachhino Rossini's L'Italiana in Algeri. I decided to analyze the 6th track on CD 1. I can't figure out what this piece is called so I guess I'll just go with the title "Six." To be honest, I know nothing about opera! When hearing this piece, however, I couldn't help but laugh at the extreme speed of the men vocalists trying to spit out their words as fast as possible! This made me think of Pergolesi's opera buffa that we studied in music history. I felt rude at first, laughing at this music that I assumed was to be highly respected. When reading the CD jacket, however, I discovered that I'm brilliant. Indeed, this is an opera buffa. It's amazing! Music history actually did do some good for me. Anyway, I suppose I should actually analyze now. "Six" begins with three big orchestral booms. This is followed by a downward scale that leads into fast violin bowing on a tonic. Soon after this, the first male vocalist enters. The violin reinforces the vocalist by playing his part in unison. The phrases go by so fast that they almost sound like one measure phrases. When listening closer it is obvious that these short measures only sound like individual phrases becuase of the way they are divided through rests. I think it's a contrasting double period. I think the second period begins in double time as the singer manages to sing even faster with riveting intensity. Right when one thinks the first vocalist is going to pass out from lack of oxygen, a second male vocalist enters. These two begin having a competition on who can sing the largest range and speed. The second begins singing to show off timber and it's obvious that the first is jealous so he breaks in with a really out of place and hilarious cadenza of musical velocity. This piece truly accomplishes the opera buffa feel.

No comments: