Thursday, February 03, 2005

Since tomorrow is Friday...CURE- Friday I'm in Love

Oh The Cure.
This starts out with a pleasant percussion riff (is that right?) and a variation on the melody on electric guitar. The verse starts and the pleasantries continues. The verse is melodic with a pleasing I-IV-V-I and lots of I-V-I action. Even when they say, "Monday you could fall apart, Tuesday, Wednesday break my heart," there's no dissonance because we get to the end of the phrase and find out that it's Friday and he's in love.
The first sign of dissonance is in the bridge between verses when he says, "Saturdaaaayyyyy...WAIT. Sunday always comes too late" but we get back to tonic with the phrase...wait for it..........wait for it........"It's friday I'm in LOVE!"
For the Coda we mix in a little synthesizer squealing for some dissonance and character, but this is a relatively straightforward piece. I would highly recommend this song for people that do not know English and want to learn the days of the week. The Cure runs through the days of the week quite a few times in this song. As it turns out, it doesn't matter what happens Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or even Thursday because...well...it's FRIDAY and he's in love.

Happy Friday Everyone! And thank you CURE for this annoyingly simple diddy.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Yes, "riff" is used in pop/jazz lingo to mean a short motive that can be purely rhythmic. How is the dissonance created? Is it more dissonant chords, or the inclusion of non-chord tones?