Monday, May 01, 2006

Memoirs of a Geisha

So, I listened to the soundtrack to the film Memoirs of a Geisha. It is absolutely beautiful and I recommend it for everyone!!! I usually do not like just instrumental or orchestral music, but I would be content to go to a live performance of this without the movie playing in the background. In fact, I've put it on my mp3 player. However, it makes sense with the movie and plays an essnential role. Each main character has an instrument that basically is their musical equivalent. The cello is Sayuri, the young geisha and it represents a bittersweet innocence..and a very lyrical yet melancholy violin is the Chairman which is her love interest.
The orchestra also makes use of traditional japanse instruments such as the Shamisan, this one long 13 stringed instrument that can be tuned at will, gongs, and these long wooden flutes. It really has an ineffable effect and it really has to be listened to to fully enjoy. It's one of the best scores done for a movie that I've ever heard. People praised titanic and lord of the rings, but this beats them all...because it holds so much more meaning,

No comments: