Sunday, May 07, 2006

last blog!!!!

So this week I listened to some Gilbert and Sullivan, more specifically the Pirates of Penzance.
The first time I ever heard this music I think I was about 5 or 6.My parents are friends with a couple that belong in some theater group that likes to put on Gilbert and Sullivan shows adn used to do them in the theater at University of Chicago.

I think my favorite song is "I am the very model of a Modern Major General" The recording I have is a little slow compared to others I've heard, but it still is an impressive piece. The lyrics are very clever, even including a jab at H.M.S Pinafore, G&S's previous operetta.

Maybe this is a strange thing to notice, but some of the songs sung by the females are somewhat similar to some Andrew Lloyd Webber writing, especially of Phantom.

The story line to Pirates is pretty strange, the main character Frederic was given as an apprentice to a band of pirates as a child when his nurse misunderstood her orders of apprenticing him to a pilot. The story takes place on his 21st birthday when he is released from his servitude. It turns out that he hates the pirate life and only has worked for them out of a sense of duty and plans on turning them in. He then falls in love iwth the major general's daughter and plans to turn the pirates in and marry her, but then the pirate king points out that he was born in leap year..so instead of turning 21 he really just turned 5, and therefore must stay with them until 1940.I don't want to ruin the ending, so I'll stop there.



so yes. last blog. yay.

No comments: