Sunday, May 07, 2006

Beethoven Op. 28 and me

I realize that I have all ready blogged on the first movement of this piece, but I've listened to the last three movements much more fully this weekend than probably any piece all semester. The second and third movements are both composite ternary form. The third movement is a fun one- Sonata Rondo! Of course, I dont want to reveal too much of what I wrote in my paper, but I'm willing to share a few interesting tidbits.

First of all, Beethoven does not leave the tonic key of D major in this work. Usually the second movement will be written in the dominant or something, but all Beethoven does is change the mode. The second movement is in d minor.

Also, it is well documented that the second movement of this piano sonata was Beethoven's favorite and he would play it for himself all the time. It's also the least "Pastoral" of the work.

Another interesting thing, is the phrase length in the first movement. Beethoven uses
ten measure long phrases, which is a rather uneven number.

Lastly, I learned (from analyzing and from Corinne) that Sonata Rondo form is a lot harder to analyze than it seems. Transitions can be longer than you think, and that you should not choose a symphony to analyze... especially one with three movements in sonata form. you're likely to spend hours and hours on one movement, cursing the composer to no end.

No comments: