Sunday, April 23, 2006

Stan Getz

Today I listened to a variety of different albums by stan getz. I thought I'd spend some time devoted to listening to his style, feel, and choice of notes. I love his smooth lyrical style of playing, It almost put me to sleep a couple of times. I love how he stays in the changes instead of playing like coltrane and playing anything but the chords written on the page. He never gets boring and his solos all make sense harmonically. I like how stan started to integrate the latin style in his music, it adds a whole new dimension to his sound. overall, if I've learned anything, its that a soloist can play in the changes at all times and find other ways of keeping the listener interested into what he or she is playing without having to reharm the whole tune...

AJ

No comments: