Sunday, April 30, 2006

Sgt. Pepper

Well, driving home last night I randomly chose to listen to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles. I'd have to say that this is definately my favorite of all CDs by the Beatles. In fact, one song, Within you Without You is literally the song that sparked my interest in Indian music and is the reason for me pursuing my trip to India this past January. There is so much good music by the Beatles it's rediculous to think of how they could come up with all the stuff they did.

Getting Better is a really nice song with a really cool bass line. Nice and upbeat, I like it.
She's Leaving Home is actually based on a comic strip that one of the Beatles read in a newspaper, and is literally word for word based off the comic. It's still really cool though.
Benefit of Mr. Kite has some really weird words, and is based off an advertisement for a circus in Penny Lane (read the lyrics... you can't make that stuff up)
Within you without you.... AMAZING! The Beatles loved their trip to India, especially George, and a lot of his songs have Indian influences. I remember listening to this song as a kid and loving the sitar and tabla present in the song. It resembles Hindustani music quite a bit actually. Stronlgy suggest listening to this one.
Finally, A Day in the Life is one of the greatest songs ever written. The lyrics are very deep and the music is equally as cool. The last chord was played on 4 pianos!

Not only is the music cool from the Beatles, but the lyrics are equally as cool. It's so cool to think that somebody could come up with as many meaningful lyrics as they did. Sgt. Peppers in my opinion was their best CD, so definately check this one out!

No comments: