Sunday, April 16, 2006

James Galway

So this week I listened to James Galway's cd "Meditations". My mom is James Galway obsessed and is always asking me when I'm going to be able to play like that...which doesn't help at all, but at least she's interested....

anyways. I have a bunch of his cds but this one is my favorite as it doesn't have his usual cheesy pop-ish tunes.

My favorite piece on the cd is Rodrigo's "Fantasia para un gentilhombre" (fantasy for a gentleman). I would love to have the chance to play this someday. The emotion in it is so high and then use of instrumentation is very complimentary to the moods portrayed.

Of course, it's not a Galway cd without the Pachelbel cannon. This version of it is pretty decent and therefore not as monatanous as it can sometimes be.
My favorite thing about James Galway is the arrangements he makes and/or finds for flute. This cd has Chopin's Nocturne In E flat, Op. 9 No. 2 on it and the arranging is really well done.

The cd is nice to listen to because it spans music from Vivaldi and Handel through Mozart and Schubert up to Debussy. I guess if you don't like listening to flute music then you wouldn' t enjoy it, but it was a relaxer when I was driving back to school through tornados.

No comments: