Sunday, April 30, 2006

Classical Tour Around the World

So I am now in possession of a box set of 10 cd's highlighting classical music from certain countries called "Classical Journey". It's a huge collection of different pieces from all kinds of composers. One thing that's great about these cd's is that there's a lot of well-known stuff, which makes them more interesting to listen to, especially because I recognize a lot of what's being played. Yesterday I listened to the first volume "Austria"...i really enjoyed this one! Here are some highlights for you:

Mozart's Symphony No. 40 (Molto Allegro)
* I really liked this piece...seeing as how it's one of his more famous symphony movements. I'm really upset because of the fact that now that I'm in Musicianship...i can't just listen to a piece...i find myself listening to form and whatnot. I always take notice of returns of motives and such. (i guess that's culture for you!)

Strauss's Waltz - The Beautiful Danube
* EVERYONE is familiar with this piece...and if you say you're not...you're a terrible liar. I couldn't help but think of a spring scene, with dancing nature and whatnot...i don't know why. Strauss just has that effect on people sometimes, i guess

Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
*One of my favorite pieces by Mozart. This "sonata form" (god, musicianship is ruining my life!) piece is a VERY famous piece, and I like it a lot. When I was in high school, the orchestra did this piece, and since then, I've been in love with it. Something about strings just makes me love it even more!

Haydn's Symphony No. 94, 'Surprise' (Andante)
*I think this piece is rather familiar...seeing as how i recognized the main theme, but I can't remember why I know it. Oh well, it's haydn. I like his melodic line for some reason. It's really easy to listen to and get lost in!

So those pieces are just a highlight of the cd that's an hour and a half long. Next week, I plan on listening to the next installment: Hungary!

No comments: