Sunday, April 30, 2006

band recording

So after listening to the band recording Lux Aurumque and Blue Shades for five hours, I might as well write about these two pieces.
Lux Aurumque is a piece by Eric Whitacre which is originally a choral piece. It used no percussion but was beautiful and very flowing. The band sounded excellent playing this piece and it went by quickly. T
he next piece however was really fast and difficult to get perfect. Blue Shades written by Frank Ticheli sounded so fun to play. Parts of the piece sounded like James bond music and other parts were extremely jazzy. There is a really neat clarinet solo in this piece which took like an hour to record, but I enjoyed listening to it. All in all, I think the band has a really good cd coming their way and they deserve it because that was hard work.

1 comment:

Emily N. said...

Hi.

You don't know me, but I found your site on google while searching for lyrics to "Lux Aurumuque". When I hit the search button, it pulled up your entry about these two wonderful pieces of music. I had the joy of playing both Blue Shades and Lux Aurumuque with my (high school) wind ensemble last year at state contest. I would just like to say that it was amazing to play Blue Shades. It was completely awesome, but it took so much work to make it great. Anyway, just wanted put that out there. Hope you have a wonderful day!

--Emily