Saturday, March 04, 2006

You be sayin', "no, no, no, no, no..."

There comes a time in every man's life when he must reach back in time to listen to something he hasn't heard in a long while. For me, my time came today.

I remember way back in middle school when Destiny's Child first hit the charts with their "Writings on the Wall" album. Back then, there were four members...unless you count Beyonce's role twice...seeing as how she did EVERYTHING. Today, there are three members, two of which were in the original group: Beyonce, Kelly and Michelle. I don't know how I amassed all four of their albums; but somehow they all ended up here at school with me.

I can't say that there is a song that was released from one their albums that I dislike; because their style is really mellow, and many of their songs emphasize beat and movement (which i really enjoy when i'm listening to music). I find it ironic that the subject of the bulk of their music is basically about Independent Women (which happens to be the title of one of their songs). So many songs have they put out that have to do with dead-beat men and the women that love them; making it on your own; not needing a cheating man; etc. (and then there are a couple like "Cater 2 U" in which the whole time they talk about doing EVERYTHING for a man, i.e. running bathwater, feeding him, taking off his shoes, etc.) Apparently standing up for a woman's independence is a great way to sell albums, especially if the music itself is good.

I also find it funny that there are so many guys that like listening to Destiny's Child (me included). I mean, I enjoy a little male-bashing myself sometimes... I guess I could sum up that statement with a quote from Chris Rock: "if the beat's alright; they will dance all night!"

Um, so yeah...period, amen!

No comments: