Monday, March 06, 2006

This week I decided to listen to Haunted Heart a jazz album sung by Renee Flemming. I love listening to this album becuase it has such a beautifully soft, mellow sound. It's really cool to listen to because Renee Fleming is famous as an opera singer. She has a beautiful voice, but I have never heard it used in this capacity before. The music she makes on this album, while not powerfully beautiful in the same way as opera, is beautiful because it's so personal. The music doesn't show her technical virtuosity, but it does show a side of her that could never be conveyed through opera. Her song choices are also very interesting because they are not all exactly what one would expect to find on a jazz album. One of my favorites is "River," originally sung by Joni Mitchell. I didn't like the way she sang it at first because it was so different from the way I was used to hearing it. However, after listening to it several times, I now like it better than the original, which is difficult for me to admit because I am a huge Joni Mitchell fan. Other selections range from "My Cherie Amour" to "Liebst du um Schonheit." When listening to this album expect the unexpected.

No comments: