Sunday, March 12, 2006

More Mozart

Ok, so I know I listened to Mozart last week, but for this weeks listening I used an album of Mozart arias. The album included multiple songs from the operas La clemenza di Tito (K.621), Cosi fan tutte (K.588), Le nozze di Figaro (K.492), Don Giovanni (K.527), and three concert arias (K. 505, 578, and 588). I found the most interesting part of my listening this week was comparing it to last week’s listening. Obviously, the masses I listened to were very different because they were composed primarily for chorus rather than solo soprano. The latest mass I listened to, however, was K 427. Every one of these arias was composed after Mozart started composing his last mass setting. These arias really embody what we think of when we imagine a vocal work by Mozart. I appreciate Mozart’s fluid, light vocal line and interesting accompaniment so much more now that I have listened to so many early vocal works.

The mezzo-soprano performing all of the arias on this album is Cecilia Bartoli. I really enjoyed listening to Bartoli’s voice, but could not help wondering how she could be classified a mezzo-soprano and be singing all of these traditionally soprano arias. I never would have actually thought of her as a mezzo-soprano if I wouldn’t have looked at the back of the CD cover, but hey… if she can do it more power to her.

1 comment:

Scott Spiegelberg said...

I've heard her characterized as a coloratura mezzo. In her case the mezzo comes from the tone color rather than the range.