Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Magic Flute

First of all, nice work to all you guys in the opera (vocalists, orchestra-ists, and tech people). Being the big music school nerd that I am, I attended both Friday and Saturday performances so I could see the two casts. Compare/ contrast is probably one of my favorite things to do and the opera was no different than anything else. I continue to be amazed at how the same show can be portrayed so differently.

The music for the opera sounded good. My favorite parts were the horns (especially on friday night...) and the celeste. Though there were a few really cool violin lines that I liked too. I promise I'm not just trying to earn brownie points with my roommate. It was rather amusing seeing Prof. Smith's head bobbing and rolling all around in front of the stage.

My overall impressions were that the Friday cast did a much better job of entertaining and the Saturday cast was much more advanced musically. Friday, the acting was superb and I was rather surprised because they were the younger cast. Then it also makes sense that I thought Saturday was more musical because they all have had more training in that sense.

Again, nice work to both casts.
I continue to look forward to Professor Claude Cymerman's recital (THIS WEEK), and I'll give you one guess as to what my blog will be on next week.

No comments: