Sunday, March 19, 2006

I decided to write about the group Les Yeux Noirs this week. They are a group from France. They play"gypsie" music with Yiddish, French, German, and Italian influences. It's definitely some of the most interesting music I've listened to in a very long time. Gypsie music is a little on the rare side around here.

The rhythm of this music is very dynamic. It's almost impossible to listen to without dancing or at least tapping your foot. It's also a lot of fun to hear all the different cultural influences mixed together. The more I try to pick them out, the more difficult it becomes, especially with the songs that don't have any singing. It all just sort of blends together and becomes its own sound.

It's difficult to distinguish all the different instruments they are using sometimes. I recognize the more familiar ones like the violin, but some of the others that I'm not as used to hearing, I'm not always sure about.

One of my favorite songs is funny because there's a point when they start using the instruments to have a conversation and to make animal noises. I have no idea how they get some of the sounds that they do out of their instruments, but it's really cool because what they are "saying" seems to make sense even with out words.

This particular recording is live and listening to the audiences reactions gives me the impression that as fun as it is to listen to a recording of this music, it would be amazing to experience it in person. You can hear the people in the background getting into the music. They clap, and whistle and start singing along. There's even one song where the band ends the song and the audience keeps clapping and singing the song because they're not ready for it to end. I think that that would be an unbelievably cool experience.

No comments: