Sunday, February 12, 2006

Yet another journey into the randomness...

Sunday night
9:05pm: Here goes number 1--"Under Pressure" by none other than David Bowie and Queen. I greatly enjoy this song. The beat is the first thing one notices because it is the first thing one hears. This song is driven by the rhythm, just like most songs. I think it's great that Vanilla Ice tried to claim that he didn't steal the beat of this song for "Ice Ice Baby." After a while, the melody becomes more prominent than the beat. The melody then gives way to the beat heard first. Finally, the song ends with snapping on the 1 and 3.
9:09pm: "Let's Get it On" by Marvin Gaye is the next song on my i-Pod. This song is wonderfully soulful. Something that I've never noticed before is the plethura of instruments used to make this song. There's sax, violin, drums obviously, voice, bass, trumpet (possibly), flute. It's crazy!
9:13pm: Up next is the ever-popular Frank Sinatra with "The Very Thought of You." The past two songs seem to foreshadow what Tuesday is (Valentine's Day for those of you who still need to buy your presents, you might want to get on that...). This song is all about the melody in Sinatra's voice. All the instruments seem to compliment his voice. The words are very clear. I can understand all of them. This song has mostly string accompaniment.
9:16pm: "Think of Me" by Andrew Lloyd Webber from Phantom of the Opera is up now. I don't really know what to say about this song besides that I am not a huge fan of Sarah Brightman's voice. This is my personal opinion, you can disagree. I find that her vowels sound funny and not like the right vowel. I'm getting rather bored with this song. I would have to say that this piece is a rounded binary piece. It has an A section and a B section that both repeat. Then it goes back to the A section and finally ends with coda.
9:21pm: "Tangled" by Maroon 5 is the next song that my i-Pod decided to play. I don't know what to say about this song. I like this song because of the rhythm and I find the lead singer's voice to be unique and kind of rough, but I like it. There's really only so much I can say about an hour worth of music each week.
9:24pm: "Dandelions" by Five Iron Frenzy. I tend to like music with a good beat, a good melody, and good lyrics, at least that's what I like in my pop music. This band makes me happy. Usually, their music is just crazy. The brass in it tends to be good and uses a lot of syncopation. The vocal parts also use a lot of syncopation.
9:27pm: "Pharaoh's Dreams Explained" by Andrew Lloyd Webber from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. The role of Joseph in this CD I have is sung by Donny Osmond, and I will admit right here and now that I am a fan of at least his singing. This is the shortest song.
9:29pm: "Funf Lieder, Op. 40--1. Maerzveilchen" by Schumann sung by Anne Sofie von Otter. This song is a traditional lied. And it's over.
9:31pm: "Your Body is a Wonderland" by John Mayer. My i-Pod is really liking the love songs today. It always amuses me to just stick my i-Pod on shuffle songs and see what it comes up with. Generally, it's a crazy, random mix of music, like tonight for instance. I like John Mayer. He does a good job with lyrics and melody. And, he's fun to sing along with. I guess I would say that this song is a continuous composite ternary form. The A section is simple binary (ab repeat). Then, there is a B section, and then the A section repeats.
9:35pm: "I'll Be There" by the Jackson 5. Michael Jackson had such a great voice when he was little, and he was so normal. What happened? ...that's all I have to say...
9:39pm: "Overture" by Andrew Lloyd Webber from Phantom of the Opera. I have heard this song so many times, I know what it is immediately just by the first chord. This first part of the piece is all about the organ. It does a lot of impressive runs while the other instruments have the melody. The melody passes around the orchestra. This song is interesting because it has such a rock beat with a classical orchestration. I guess the first chorus number in the show is also part of the overture. Very strange.
9:42pm: "At the Same Time" by Barbara Streisand is up next on the i-Pod. This song is Streisand singing with a pop orchestra as her accompaniment. Now there's a children's choir singing along with her.
9:46pm: "Colors of the Wind" from Pocahontas (I hope I spelled that right). Apparently Pocahontas's voice is done by Judy Kuhn. Everyone knows this song. Come on sing it with me! "Have you ever heard the wolf cry to the blue corn moon? Or asked the grinnig bobcat why he grinned? Can you sing with all the voices of the mountain? Can you paint with all the colors of the wind? Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?" "How high does the sycamore grow? If you cut it down then you'll never know!" This song is typical Disney. Allan Mencken composed this movie along with most of the early to late 90's Disney movies.
9:51pm-9:52pm: Break.
9:52pm: "It Had to Be You" by Frank Sinatra. From the first second of hearing the vocals in this song, I'm able to tell it's Sinatra. His voice is so distinct. I'm really running out of things to say. I feel like when I'm listening to my music like this it becomes unenjoyable. I want to just sit back and enjoy the music, so I will do so.
9:56pm: The Beatles, "Hard Day's Night" is up next. This song has a good beat. It's one of those songs you hear and know it's the Beatles, unless you've been living under a rock.
9:59pm: "What if Jesus Comes Back Like That" by Collin Raye. Yes, I know it's a Christmas song. This song is not one of my favorite Christmas songs out there. I tend to prefer more traditional Christmas music, but I just grabbed all the music out of our CD rack during winter break.
10:02pm: "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong. I greatly enjoy this song. I love his voice; it seems to soothe me and calm me no matter what. The form is AABA. I would then say that it is Ternary based on the fact that the B section seems to stand on its own.
10:05pm: The last song of this week is "The Lilac Fairy" by Tchaikovsky.
It's been nice chatting with you. Until next week.

2 comments:

jamesatdepauw said...

Welcome to "The Diary" by Catie...(it's been nice chatting with you)...lol

Catie...that is really a random playlist...it's amazing at the variety...i mean, Pocahontas AND christmas music in the same strech? Awesome!

Scott Spiegelberg said...

AABA is common in pop music, often called a quatrain or quaternary form. It is a type of binary form. In this song, the B section is an elaboration of dominant "the colors of the rainbow", including a brief emphasis on ii and vi "I see friends shaking hands" before resolving back to a half cadence "I love you". It doesn't go to a new key, and feels very developmental.