Sunday, February 19, 2006

This one was close!

You know, sometimes it's kinda hard to remember to do this hour's worth of music...and then the consequential blog...I almost forgot about it...

Oh well, here's this week's..."adventure" (shall we say) in music:

I don't know if anyone else has blogged about it before now, and if they have...tough! I listened to "Rent", the soundtrack to the movie that was released late 2005. I got the soundtrack to the movie on Christmas day from my mother, and I listen to it often since then. I also have the CD from the Original broadway cast in New York, but I think the movie version is better (just my opinion).

Rent, written by Jonathan Larson is the story of a group of friends struggling through life and love in New York City. Set in the early 90's, it deals directly with drugs, AIDS, and homosexuality and how they affect the lives of young people in a community. I'd never seen the stage version of the show, so the movie was the first time I'd seen the show, even though I HAD heard the music (and to be honest, i wasn't much of a fan).

So, funny story about my first time...I went to go see the movie w/ my mom, who is notorious for falling asleep during a movie. Rent is a very emotional movie, that gets quite sad and depressing at certain points. I must admit, there were times in the theatre where there were tears in my eyes, and then my mother would wake up...look at me, ask me what was happening...and ruin the whole moment. She tends to do that.

So anyway, back to the soundtrack. The music is very charactersitic of recent popular musicals. The music is powerful, insightful, and quite good. The singing is impeccable, starring such greats as Adam Pascal, Rosario Dawson, and Idina Menzel (winner of the 2005 Tony for Best Actress in a musical for her performance as Elphaba in Wicked). Most of the music is done in the traditional "belting" style...which is amazing to listen to, if they do it right. One can't help but sing along with the infectous melodies and embellishments.

My favorite songs on the album include the ever popular "Seasons of Love"; and the really emotional "Will I". I can't help but love this music!!

Um...so that's all for now...yeah, More to come!

No comments: