Sunday, February 19, 2006

Something a little different this time around...

I know you're all used to me listening to my i-Pod and writing about that, but since I've been to all of the Heggie concerts and master classes this week (except for the final concert which is scheduled to start in 30 min), I've decided to lump them all into one blog. At first when I began to work on the music for "Heggie Week," I was thinking, what is this? It is very rhythmically difficult and at first the chords were very foreign to me. I worked on two of his pieces for the master class audition, "As Well as Jesus" from Faces of Love and "To Say Before Going to Sleep" which is not part of any cycle or compilation. I enjoyed both of the songs, but connected better with "To Say Before Going to Sleep." The more I worked on his music, the more I began enjoying it. By the time this week came around and the opening concert began I was still thinking, "this is strange music," but the more I listened to it, the more I have fallen in love with Jake Heggie's music. I find his melodies greatly enjoyable and some of the chords he uses strange and somewhat exotic, but beautiful. His rhythms, while they look difficult on the page, do not sound difficult. He uses lots of syncopation, but when I listened to all of Thursday's concert, and Friday's and Saturday's Master Classes, I realized that it doesn't sound syncopated so much. I find his style interesting, ranging from jazzy to musical theatre-style, to operatic. Over the past several days I have heard 3 songs from his Eve-Song cycle. Each one has a different style. The first I heard, "Snake" was very jazzy. The second, "Even" was very flowing and had a very beautiful melody and was not jazzy. The third, "Woe to Man," was dramatic, jazzy, and had some things that I would describe as mild colaratura in it. All of these different sytles that Heggie writes make his music very interesting to me. After this week, I have become a huge fan of Jake Heggie's music and would like to perform more of it.

No comments: