Sunday, February 05, 2006

Sarah Vaughn

I Linstened to Sarah Vaughn's, "The Essential Sarah Vaughn." Having only truly listened to other jazz vocalists such as Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald, I was in for quite a surprise when I started to listen to Sarah Vaughn. The first noticable aspect of her music is her incredible vocal proclivity. The tone in her voice is absolutely amazing along with her wide range.

The Album begins with her beautiful rendition of Misty, which induces a euphoria in the listener. The mood of the CD continues at a slow pace until the fourth cut, All of Me. As soon as the song started I was captured. Being one who is a bigger fan of upbeat songs (and songs with which I am familiar), this immediately became one of my favorites. I became even more enthralled when she takes a chorus and improvises while scatting. Her range is shown off along with her knowledge of the changes. I was quite impressed.

Another favorite of mine was No Count Blues. This song was overflowing with raw emotion. It makes you tap your foot and bob your head. Moreover, Sarah again displays her incredible ability to scat and improvise with the other instrumentalists. As a big fan of blues, this song was probably my favorite cut on the entire album.

Another favorite of mine sounded somewhat more pop-like to me. Broken Hearted Melody seemed more like a song that Sam Cooke might sing. This was probably a cut from one of the CD's she made when she was recording for the pop chart. I was a fan, even though it wasn't as jazzy as some of the other tracks on the record.

Your Not the Kind is also a great cut. In addition to being more upbeat, it has a great trumpet and flute solo. I only wish that Sarah could have taken a solo and possibly convers with the other instruments.

Overall I was a big fan of the alubum as a whole. I would definitely recommend this CD to a peer. My only criticism is very small and only a personal preference. I am not a big fan of the amount of vibrato she puts on some of her notes. To me it seems a bit excessive at times. I prefer it when singers hold a note without adjusting it excessively. It sounds somewhat operatic when she puts the vibrato on the note, and personally I am not a big fan of this type of singing. Fortunately, she does this only sparsely on the the more upbeat songs, of which I am a bigger fan.

Austin Johson

No comments: