Thursday, February 23, 2006

It's called The Magic Flute...come see it!

So I'm sure at least 95% of the people that read this blog are aware that next weekend marks the opening of on "The Magic Flute". I don't know about you, prof. Spiegelberg...but I'D go to the Thursday/Saturday's version of the show...cuz we do it right...the other cast...well, they just do it (lol). [i'm just kidding...both shows will be great]

Anyway, so I've been listening to Mozart for the past two months...so I should think that that would be deserving of a good discussion of the music. Mozart lived and composed in the Classical Era of music, and his music reflects that style. Much of the music is very predictable, and it's full of long cadential passages (i.e. I-V-I-V-I-V-I-V-I-I-I-V-I). I like the opera as a whole, because the music is amazing...but somehow, i've rationalized that Mozart was high on PCP when he came up with the storyline, because it's quite strange, and has many holes in the resolutions. But that's a well and good, because it's still really popular.

So anyway...i really enjoy this music...and I love being in it...

Signing off!

3 comments:

Catie said...

james, i love you, your post makes me laugh....anyway very true about the magic flute and mozart, and COME TO SEE THE SHOW!!!! (if you're not in it)
-catie

jamesatdepauw said...

Catie...i love you...you make me chuckle

Scott Spiegelberg said...

Sorry, I ended up going to the Friday night performance. The Magic Flute makes more sense when you realize that Mozart is using it to make a political/philosophical statement. He was a member of the Freemasons, which inspired all of the rituals and philosophy of Sarastro. The Empress of the Holy Roman Empire, Maria Theresa, tried to disband the Freemasons as she saw them a threat to her power. She is represented as the Queen of the Night. Finally, Mozart was trying to be daring, by starting the opera as a standard rescue opera but then switching everything around in the second act.