Monday, February 20, 2006

I decided to leave my ipod randomness for a week and write about my new Jess Klein album Draw Them Near. I really like her music. The first album of hers that I bought was really folky because it was just her singing and playing the guitar. Her music is a little more thought provoking than the stuff you hear on the radio. This new album of hers is interesting because it's so different from the other one that I own. Gone are the days of the lonely accoustic guitar. It has been replaced by a whole group of insruments that add a lot of depth to the sound of the music. What surprised me the most was how much this suited her music. It gave certain songs a really awesome edge to their sound. In other songs it had the odd effect of making their folkiness sound more like country music. I'm not a big fan of country music, but the thing that bugs me the most about it is the twang that the singers use. She, however, does not sing with a twang, so even the slightly country sounding songs are still pretty good in my opinion. My favorite thing about her music is the fact that not only is music interesting, but it also has great lyrics that make me listen to the songs closely, instead of letting it fade into the background while I do other things. This makes it terrible homework music and great music to sing along with in the car. Hmmm...I wonder what the says about my driving.

No comments: