Sunday, February 26, 2006

Concertos

Well, I'm not as cool as people who go see Coldplay, or vocalists (obviously) or any of that. but I decided to stray from following Katie's lead this week. We'll see where it gets me and if I keep the whole "independence" thing up. anyway.

The Concerto Competition this year was really intense- especially for all the pianists. On one hand, I sincerely regret being the only performance (or soon-to-be) major that did not participate. On the other hand, accompanying Ann Marie (freshman piano major) was intense enough for me to be glad I decided to focus on proficiencies and not worry about the extra 10-15 minutes of music needed to be memorized and performance ready. All eight of the pianists were pretty much, amazing and I had difficulties even trying to predict any of the winners (admit it, we all tried to predict). I was slightly surprised that the piano faculty forwarded all eight of them to the finals. I watched the last four performances (5-8) and accompanied the fourth so I had a pretty good idea of what was going on. The repeat of Beethoven's No. 3 concerto was kind of weird. Keith and Nathan played it back to back and the juxtaposition of the two different ways it could be interpreted was pretty awesome. I was especially surprised to see that they both won. Other than the Beethoven, there was some Gershwin, Mendelssohn, Shostakovich, Schuman, and Haydn.

I really enjoyed listening to all the pianists perform and I'm getting pretty excited for Professor Cymerman's upcoming recital!!!!!

1 comment:

jamesatdepauw said...

Jessie, I see some truth in your blog...namely, the first line...shall i quote thee? yes, I think i shall: "I'm not as cool as...vocalists"

I think you hit the nail right on the head!! But hey, it gives you something to aspire to!!