Friday, February 03, 2006

9:03pm: You are about to catch a glimpse of what has been called "the most random mix of music ever." I have put my I-pod on shuffle songs, and I'm off. First up: "Ii. Scherzo: Vivace Con Spirito" by Tchaikovsky. I find that Tchaikovsky is the only orchestral composer that doesn't bore me (no offense to instrumentalists). I like the orchestration of this piece. It goes through the orchestra in a rather sweeping manner. Ooh, the dramatic music just turned very beautiful and melodic with mostly strings and woodwinds (clarinet right now...now the violins...now the flute...back to the violins). The piece is getting slightly more dramatic now. Now Tchaikovsky adds the brass, but just for a couple of seconds. Ooh the drama is great! The more dramatic the music gets, the more brass is added. Now the music is mysteriously dramatic. The orchestration is strings, flute, clarinet, bassoon, oboe. If this piece was telling a story, it'd be talking about the woods. Right now, the setting would be at night in the woods, possibly a storm. This is because of the dissonance.
9:12pm: New song. "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith. This song has a very basic melody, possibly because of Steven Tyler's voice. Very basic rock form. Verse Chorus Verse Chorus Bridge Chorus...more Chorus. I don't really have much more to say. Steven Tyler isn't a very good singer, but he's famous, so it's all good.
9:17pm: "It's My Life" Bon Jovi. It has a good beat with catchy melody. The beat pumps me up!
9:21pm: The Beatles "Ticket to Ride." Good beat. Good melody. I greatly enjoy the tambourine part. 1e+a 2e+a etc.
9:24pm: "Can't Find My Way" by Phil Collins is next on the list. This song is very typical for him. It has a strong beat with a very easy melody. I think this song is in minor. The thing I notice first in this song is the beat and the percussion. This song is rather repetative. I'm getting bored with it.
9:29pm: "Act 2: (Chanson bohème) Les tringles des sisres tintaient" from Carmen. This song is a duet, but mostly it's just Maria Callas singing with some backup. Crazy things happen when you live in a sorority. One of my sisters came in and just started "booty dancing" to this song. This song has a very spanish beat and is constantly getting faster. The ending is very exciting because of the speed and the fury of it. It's like a wild and crazy dance!
9:34pm: "Good People" by Jack Johnson. This song is percussion and guitar and voice. It has a good beat. My brother's girlfriend calls it "chill music" because of the beat.
9:37pm: "Oh, Canada" by Five Iron Frenzy. I love ska. This song has a great beat and a great melody. It makes me want to jump up and down and dance really badly. This song has the most amusing lyrics. I like how the brass has riffs in it, and how they play the Canadian national anthem in the middle of it. The only thing about this song that I don't like is how it ends abruptly.
9:41pm: "The Way You Look Tonight" by Frank Sinatra. Ahh, ole Blue Eyes. This song has a very good melody. It also has quite a bit of syncopation. (Stop 9:42)
8:34pm Sunday, February 5: Yes, it's been several days. I'm currently listening to "Bent" by Matt Nathanson. This piece has a very pretty melody. It's compiled of lots of V and I chords. There's an occasional switch, but it mostly just uses a Tonic Dominant Tonic harmonization for the melody. It is most powerful when the accompaniment drops out and Nathanson is singing alone. The beat pick up toward the end then abruptly slows which adds a sense of calmness before the song ends.
8:37pm: "For All We Know" by Rod Stewart is next on the I-pod. This song is rather jazzy. It feels like it's in 4/4 time, but it does have a swung lilt to it.
8:41pm: Now comes "Infidel" by Five for Fighting. This band really amuses me because they're named after a hockey penalty. The most noticed musical thing is this piece is the beat and how the various instruments tie in with it. Obviously, the percussion keeps the beat and furthers it. There's a lot of syncopation in the guitars and voice. The bass line tends to follow the percussion with the rhythm, but the guitar and voice have the syncopations.
8:44pm: Next up, "I Feel Like a Bullet (In the Gun of Robert Ford)" by Elton John. This song is typical Elton John. It's piano and voice for about 16 measures then a slow rock percussion comes in. This song isn't very interesting melodically. It tends to be repetative. However, Elton John uses a direct modulation up a step. I tend to like these modulations because I can acutally hear them (unlike most modulations). Now, a guitar is taking over the melody from the vocals for a nice interlude. There are some violins that are randomly interspersed throughout the piece.
8:50pm: Now I'm listening to a live version "With a Little Help from My Friends" by the Beatles. This is a typical Beatles song. This song is really straightforward. The accompaniment is 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 etc... The melody follows the patterns of speech.
8:52pm: "Best Years of Our Lives" by the Baha Men. This is off of the Shrek soundtrack (just for your general knowledge). It has a very calypso beat and a very dancable beat. In fact, I'm dancing right now. This song is rather pop-ish then randomly breaks into calypso rap. Therefore, rhythm is everything. It has a basic 1 2 3 4 beat with syncopations and other fun beats.
8:56pm: And I'm finished. I hope you enjoyed my random music. :)
-Catie

No comments: